NSA warns IPOB against plans to disrupt Anambra governorship election
President Muhammadu Buhari, has advised “those with the intention to disrupt Anambra governorship election” to have a rethink.
Mr Monguno, a retired major-general, gave the advice at the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES) meeting organised by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday in Abuja.
There is a general apprehension that the November 6 election may be affected by the sit-at-home order issued by (IPOB)
It will be recalled that the Indigenous People of Biafra has threatened to shut down the whole of southeast region for one week if its leader, Nnamdi Kanu is not released on or before November 4, 2021.
The group said the one week sit-at-home is to let their ‘oppressors’ understand that it won’t tolerate any plan to torment or abandon its leader in DSS custody, adding that nobody resident in the southeast region should flout the sit-at-home order.
“Following the adjournment of our great leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu’s court case to 10th of November 2021, by the Federal High Court Abuja, we the great movement and family of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), wish to inform Biafrans, friends of Biafra and lovers of freedom that IPOB will lock down Biafra land from 5th of November to 10th of November except Sunday, November 7th, a day our people worship the Almighty God, Chukwu Okike Abiama, if the Nigeria Government fails to release our leader unconditionally before 4th of November 2021.
“Our leader, Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi must be released unconditionally on or before November 4, 2021, because he has not committed any offence known to any law. “Failure to release our leader Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi Kanu on or before November 4, 2021, our one-week Sit-At-Home begins on November 5, 2021, till November 10.
Mr Monguno, who is the co-chairman of ICCES, said that while security agencies have been charged to act professionally, they would not sit idle and allow anyone to disrupt the election.
“I want to reassure the general public that the security agencies are going to do everything within their power to ensure that the people of Anambra State undergo this exercise without any incident.
“In the same vein, I want to offer a word of brotherly advice to our brothers and sisters in Anambra State who may want to use means, methods that are unorthodox and that are unusual to destabilise an already delicate situation, to please, think again.
“We are all eager to achieve results in this election that will be acceptable to everybody.
“We will not allow people to start looting, destroying public property, and resorting to not just intimidation, terrorising people, possibly arson and even homicide.
“This will not be accepted. The law enforcement agencies have been asked to watch out for such elements,” Mr Monguno said.
The NSA also advised the security personnel not to engage in any act that would tarnish the image of the security agencies or harm the electoral process.
INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu, in his remarks, said the commission was committed to the November 6 election.
Mr Yakubu said INEC preparations for the election had been going on unhindered.
“Our deployment of non-sensitive materials and training of personnel for the election have virtually been concluded.
“The commission has successfully accomplished 12 out of the 14 activities listed in the timetable and schedule of activities for the election released in January this year.
“The two outstanding activities are the last day of campaign, at midnight on Thursday November 4 and election day which remains Saturday November 6.
“INEC is determined to proceed with the Anambra State Governorship election as scheduled.