The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), on Sunday, commenced interrogation of a former Senate President, Pius Anyim, in a case of alleged corruption and diversion of public funds.
According to report, Mr Anyim who was Senate President between 2000 and 2003, was appointed by then President Goodluck Jonathan as the Secretary to the Government of the Federation in 2011, a position the 60-year-old held till 2015. EFCC said that Mr Anyim arrived at the headquarters of the commission in Abuja at about 3p.m. on Sunday.
Though details of the specific allegations against Mr Ayim were sketchy as of press time, sources said they are related to a case involving the incumbent Anambra North senator, Stella Oduah. Ms Oduah also served as the Minister of Aviation under the Goodluck Jonathan administration from 2011 until 2014 when she was sacked based on a contract scam involving the purchase of BMW armoured cars.
This was part of the resolutions reached at the end of the conference, put together by the Nigerian Guild of Editors last Thursday and Friday, with the theme ‘Media in Times of Crises: Resolving Conflict, Achieving Consensus’, was attended by 350 editors, security chiefs and other stakeholders.
President Mustapha Isah and the General Secretary Iyobosa Uwugiaren, advised the government to deal with the different sections of the country on the basis of fairness, equity and justice. “There’s need for government to ensure that its policies and actions are sensitive to the multi ethnic and religious makeup of the country.”
A civic group committed to government financial transparency, in its report, ‘State of States 2019’, said only three Nigerian state governments (Lagos, Rivers and Akwa Ibom) can finance their recurrent expenditure without allocation from the federal government.
There had been pressure from the Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) and the general public to stop the suspicious payments to the consultants. However, in a dramatic twist, less than a month after a directive by President Muhammadu Buhari,, the Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning has commenced deductions to pay the claimants.
The permanent secretary, Federal Ministry of Finance, told the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) meeting on Friday that it has commenced the deductions to pay the consultants. In 2006, the federal government paid $12 billion to get an $18 billion debt write-off by the Paris Club of international creditors.
“It is impulsive and reckless to order Ndigbo to observe one-week sit-at-home” – Ohanaeze tells IPOB. The Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide, on Sunday, kicked against the one-week sit-at-home declared by the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.
AMB reported that the pro-Biafra group had threatened a one-week sit-at-home if their leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, was not released forthwith.
The declaration, targeted at the November 6 Anambra election, has been attracting wild condemnation. In a statement by the Secretary-General of the Chidi Ibeh-led apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro, he said Ndigbo should not obey the order this time.
He said, “any declaration that unleashes untold hardship, leads to the collapse of commercial and industrial activities, boycott of Anambra elections, and interrupts the academic calendar in the Southeastern states is nonsensical, absurd, and anti-Igbo agenda, for the enemy’s amusement.”
He added that “IPOB should discern that there was self-determination struggle in Africa before now. Nelson Mandela spent 27 years in jail and never in the history of the movement against Apartheid was starvation, anguish, and catastrophe unleashed on Black South Africans by ANC.
“It is impulsive and reckless to order Ndigbo to observe one-week sit-at-home when it’s obvious that Nnamdi Kanu will not be released without the approval of courts. “IPOB should revisit and nullify the one-week sit-at-home or they will likely lose the support of the Ndigbo henceforth, Ndigbo must participate in Anambra election and nothing should stop it”.
While describing the order as the enslavement of Ndigbo, Isiguzoro said it was time “for the Igbo to rise to the occasion and end being trampled with orders from overseas by those without any investments in the South-East”.
“Working with Ohanaeze for political solution is not cowardice, but pragmatic and the home-bitter truth solution.” Okechukwu said though people share IPOB’s agitation for secession, Igbo people had passed the road of civil war.
Osita Okechukwu, Director-General, Voice of Nigeria (VON), has advised the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to join the Ohanaeze Ndigbo to seek political solution regarding Nnamdi Kanu’s release.
“IPOB should join Prof. George Obiozor-led Ohanaeze Ndigbo to kill two birds with one stone”, he counseled.
Colombia’s most-wanted drug lord has been captured by authorities. This has been described as the biggest blow to the country’s narcotics traffickers in decades, CNN reports.
Colombia’s President Iván Duque Márquez confirmed the capture of Dairo Antonio Usuga, known as “Otoniel,” in a televised national address Saturday. “This coup is only comparable to the fall of Pablo Escobar in the 90s,” Duque said, referring to the Colombian drug lord who died in 1993 after building a multibillion-dollar empire dealing cocaine.
“Otoniel was the most feared drug trafficker in the world, a murderer of policemen, soldiers, social leaders, and a recruiter of minors,” he said. Otoniel, 50, was seized by Colombian authorities during an operation in a rural area of Colombia’s Uraba region, located in Antioquia province, Reuters reported.
Cristiano Ronaldo has hit back at critics who have questioned his work rate since he returned to his former club Manchester United from Juventus. Ronaldo has scored six goals since rejoining his former side on the final day of the summer transfer window. He scored a crucial winner against Atalanta in the Champions League on Wednesday night October 20.
United’s form as a team has raised concern and Ronaldo has faced criticism amid United’s concerning three-game winless run in the Premier League.
Reacting to the criticism, the Portuguese icon told Sky Sports: “I know when the team needs my help defensively. But my role in the club is to win, help the team to win and to score goals — [the defensive side] is part of my job.
Davido’s only son, Ifeanyi whom he had with ex-fiancee, Chioma Rowland clocked two on October 20 and a huge party was thrown for him on October 23.
Davido and Chioma reportedly throw a Lavish birthday party for their only son, Ifeanyi Adeleke as he turns 2. It was gathered that the estranged love birds reconcile inorder to make their son’s day special.
Chioma, the mother of one organised a small and classy house party for her son. In attendance were their friends, family, other children.