Categories
New Category news

Sexy Bikini photos of BBNaija housemate Maria Chike

Maria Chike Benjamin is one of the eleven female contestants in this year’s BBNaija ”Shine Ya Eye’ competition. See another of her Bikini photo below.

Categories
New Category news

Canada installs first indigenous governor general, highlights reconciliation

Canada installed an indigenous woman as its governor general on Monday, the first such person to hold the post, in an elaborate ceremony that spotlighted the country’s effort to reconcile with its colonial past. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau named Mary Simon- a former journalist, ambassador, and Inuit community advocate – to serve as the
representative in Canada of its head of state,
Queen Elizabeth, earlier this month. Simon is the first indigenous person to take on the role, created more than 400 years ago to represent the colonial power on North American soil.

The change comes as Canada grapples with
the legacy of its treatment of indigenous people. “We need people like Ms. Simon because we need people who build bridges and bring us
together Trudeau said at the ceremony. Since May, hundreds of unmarked graves of children have been discovered at former “residential schools,” run for indigenous children forcibly separated from their families in what a Truth and Reconciliation Commission has called “cultural genocide.

“I have heard from Canadians who describe a
renewed sense of possibility for our country and hope that l can bring people together Simon, 73, said after being installed. The ceremony, broadcast by the Canadian
Broadcasting Corp also in Simon’s native
Inuktitut language, was scaled back and masks
were worn due to COVID-19. A drummer
accamnanied her entrv inta the Senate uhera were worn due to COVID-19.

A drummer accompanied her entry into the Senate where she took an oath. The governor general performs functions such as swearing in governments and formally signing legislation, but is also the commander in chief of the military and can summon or dissolve Parliament.

Categories
New Category news

Benin Bronzes: Nigeria dispute jeopardises return of artefacts

A dispute between Nigerian leaders could
jeopardise plans for the return of some of Africa’s most famous artefacts, the Benin bronzes, which were looted during the colonial era and are now mainly in Western museums, as writer Barnaby Phillips reports.

The Bronzes, thousands of metal sculptures and
ivory carvings, were seized from the West Africen kingdom of Benin – in what is today Edo State in southern Nigeria – by a British military force in 1897. In Europe their beauty and sophistication caused an instant sensation, and they are widely regarded as amongst Africa’s greatest artworks.

In recent years, as European governments have come under pressure to atone for colonial-era erimes, some have spoken of their desire to return looted artefacts. In April the German government said it wanted to give back hundreds of Benin Bronzes, and several museums in the UK have made similar announcements.

The return of the Benin Bronzes to Nigeria would mark an extraordinary moment in Africa’s post-colonial history, and is a prospect that seems more likely now than at any time since 1897.

But when the king, or Oba, of Benin, Ewuare
II, summoned “all well-meaning people to an
emergency meeting in the Edo capital Benin City earlier this month, it was not in celebration.

Hundreds answered the Oba’s call and assembled in his palace, dressed in handsome robes, singing his praises. Ewuare I1, the great-great grandson of the Oba who was toppled by the British in 1897, warned of an attempt by what he called an “artificial group” to “dívert” the return of the Bronzes.
This group, the Legacy Restoration Trust (LRT)
had the support of Edo State Governor Godwin
Obaseki and had planned to put the Bronzes in an Edo Museum of Western African Art (EMOWAA).

The Oba made his opposition clear. The right and only legitimate destination” for the
Bronzes would be a “Benin Royal Museum”, he said, sited within his palace grounds. He insisted that the Bronzes had to come back to where they were taken from, and that he was “the custodian of all the cultural heritage of the Benin Kingdom”.


The Oba’s argument is compelling, but awkwardly, his son and designated heir, crown prince Ezelekhae Ewuare, attends the board meetings of the LRT he professes to know nothing about. So does Nigeria’s National Commission for Museums and Monuments, representing the federal government. Governor Obaseki has convinced a celebrated architect, Sir David Adjaye, to design the new museum, bringing prestige and a wave of positive
international publicity to the project.

Although the Oba now warns anybody dealing with the LRT they do so “at their own risk and against the will of the people of the Benin Kingdom”. he must worry it is already too late. The British Museum has signed a deal with the LRT for an archaeology project in Benin City.

The German government is discussing doing the same, and funding an LRT building to initially house returned Bronzes. These contracts are worth millions of dollars. British and German officials, as well as other Europeans, embraced the Trust in part because they believed it and the Oba were working together.

So how did it come to this? Above all, because of distrust and rivalry between Oba Ewaure lI and Governor Obaseki. “It’s an ego tussle between them, says one person close to the process. The accusations being traded are not pretty of individuals allegedly more interested in financial gain, either from the Bronzes themselves or the contracts around a new museum, than in rectifying an historical injustice.

However, a German government ofticial told me: “Those who think there’s money to be made from this new museum are mistaken. A museum is somewhere you spend money, you don’t make it”. None of this is good news for those who dream of the Bronzes going back to Benin City. An Edo historian involved in discussions with European museums told me the dispute between the Oba and the governor “has sent a chill through all of
Us”

A director of a European museum which has a
large collection of Bronzes. and has previously
spoken in favour of their return, told me: “Our
policy is that if claimants are in dispute amongst themselves, we wait until they resolve it.” The University of Aberdeen in Scotland said earlier this year that its museum would give back a Benin Bronze head “unconditionally”. But in the wake of recent events the museum’s director, Neil Curtis, told me he would be “very uncomfortable” if this return occurred without agreement among all parties in Nigeria.

Nigeria’s federal government has legal
responsibility for the return of any Benin Bronzes, and, it says, will ultimately “take possession” of them, although the Oba’s supporters stress he will never concede on the question of ownership. The Director-General of the government’s National Commission for Museums and Monuments, Abba Isa Tijani, told me the dispute between the Oba and the governor was “a private matter between them – local politics that cannot slow down restitution”.

He suggests a compromise, whereby Benin Bronzes return to various museums within Benin City, including one within the palace grounds as well as the more ambitious EMOWAA outside its walls.

Some European museum curators blame the
Gierman government for pushing ahead with bold announcements on the return of Benin Bronzes before they’d confirmed that everyone in Nigeria was aligned on this sensitive issue. A German official conceded they had moved quickly in part because of domestic political concerns, but more importently. he insisted, out of a sense of what was morally right.

Categories
New Category news

Greece seeks spear fisher who killed famous seal

Shocking as wildlife lovers are swapping memories of a beloved rare seal and calling for justice after it was killed off the Greek island of Alonissos.

According to the source the Greek authorities are searching for the killer of Kostis, a Mediterranean monk seal, which became the island’s symbol.

Info gathered that Kostis was named after the fisherman who saved it after a storm in 2018. A Greek seal charity which looked after Kostis for several months as a pup thinks it was killed with a spear gun.

The endangered seals are protected under Greek law. Kostis was “executed at close range with a spear gun”, said the charity, MOm.

According to the spokesperson the spear probably came from a boat,
The charity urged anyone with information to contact police, and says it means to sue the killer.

After being rescued, Kostis was released into the National Marine Park of Alonissos and Northern Sporades.

Many people have been sharing memories on social media of seeing the seal off the coast of the island and calling for the killer to be brought to justice.

There may be fewer than 700 Mediterranean monk seals in the wild, with almost half living in Greece.

Mediterranean monk seals are now regarded as endangered, not critically endangered, but researchers warn their survival is “far from secure”.

Categories
#sports New Category news

‘HE PLAYED WITH ME’ – SAMUEL ETO’O SHUTS DOWN REPORTER WHEN ASKED WHAT IT WAS LIKE TO PLAY WITH LIONEL MESSI

Samuel Eto’o raised eyebrows with his bizarre response when asked what it was like to play with Lionel Messi.

Eto’o enjoyed a glittering spell at Barcelona from 2004 to 2009, winning La Liga three times and the Champions League on two occasions.

Messi made his early steps on the road to superstardom at Barca in 2003, making his first-team debut in a friendly in November, but it was in the 2004/05 campaign that he made the breakthrough in La Liga.

The Argentina great quickly made the attacking role on the right his own, with Ronaldinho deployed on the left and Eto’o through the middle.

Eto’o was asked to give his thoughts on rising star Ansu Fati and what it must be like for the teenager to play with Messi, but the Cameroonian stopped the reporter in his tracks.

The reporter asked: “You talk about Messi, what can he [Ansu Fati] learn from Messi? You obviously played with him.” In response,

Eto’o said: “No. He played with me – it is different. Messi played with me. I did not play with Messi. In my time, Messi played with me. It is totally different. It is totally different.”

It’s not immediately clear whether Eto’o’s response was tongue in cheek or not, as he has repeatedly talked about Messi in glowing terms.

Categories
#sports New Category news

Transfer News – Cristiano Ronaldo Will Stay At Juventus Pavel Nedved Confirms

Juventus vice-president Pavel Nedved has claimed that Juventus striker Cristiano Ronaldo will see out next year contracted to the club.

Pavel Nedved has said that Cristiano Ronaldo will stay at the Italian club for the final year of his contract. The 36-year-old Portugal international has been linked with a return to former clubs Manchester United and Sporting Lisbon. It has also been suggested that he could interest Paris Saint-Germain, especially if they lose Kylian Mbappe to Real.

Ronaldo scored 29 goals to become Serie A’s top scorer last season, but his side failed to win the league as Inter Milan stormed the campaign, the first time in his three seasons with Juventus that they failed to win the title.

Speaking to Sky Sport Italia, Nedved said: “Ronaldo will return to training on Monday and he will stay with us.”Juventus have two contract situations to resolve in the near future, with Paulo Dybala also in the least year of his deal, and Euro 2020 winner Girgio

Chiellini a free agent.“[Director Federico] Cherubini has already been in contact with his [Dybala’s] agent, who will arrive in Turin next week,” Nedved said.“We are in good time to get the situation resolved, it’s not a problem.“When [Chiellini] returns from his vacation, then we can talk.”

Categories
New Category news

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Climate change

There is no evidence of a direct connection between climate change and the emergence or transmission of COVID-19 disease. As the disease is now well established in the human population, efforts should focus on reducing transmission and treating patients.

However, climate change may indirectly affect the COVID-19 response, as it undermines environmental determinants of health, and places additional stress on health systems. More generally, most emerging infectious diseases, and almost all recent pandemics, originate in wildlife, and there is evidence that increasing human pressure on the natural environment may drive disease emergence. Strengthening health systems, improved surveillance of infectious disease in wildlife, livestock and humans, and greater protection of biodiversity and the natural environment, should reduce the risks of future outbreaks of other new diseases.

What can the global responseto COVID-19 teach us about our response to climate change?


The COVID-19 pandemic is a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), which has claimed lives, and severely disrupted communities. Climate change is a gradually increasing stress that may be the defining public health threat of the 21st century. Nonetheless, common lessons can be drawn:

Ensuring universal health coverage (UHC), through well-resourced, equitable health systems, is essential to protect the public from both short and long-term health threats.
Guaranteeing global health security requires an all-hazards approach to preparedness, from infectious disease outbreaks, to extreme weather events, to climate change.
Ensuring access to the environmental determinants of health, such as clean air, water and sanitation, safe and nutritious food, is an essential protection against all health risks. WHO estimates that avoidable environmental risks cause about a quarter of the global health burden.
Early action saves lives. Delay in responding to clear evidence of threats, whether from pandemics, or from climate change, increases human and socioeconomic costs.
Inequality is a major barrier in ensuring health and wellbeing, especially for the most vulnerable in society. Social and economic inequality manifests in unequal health risks. When faced with public health threats of a global scale, such as COVID-19 or climate change, we are only as strong as our weakest health system.

Categories
New Category news

Vladimir Putin says Russia could have sunk UK warship without starting World War Three

The Russian navy can detect any enemy and launch an “unpreventable strike” if needed, President Vladimir Putin said on, Sunday July 25, weeks after a UK warship angered Moscow by passing the Crimea peninsula.

“We are capable of detecting any underwater, above-water, airborne enemy and, if required, carry out an unpreventable strike against it,” Putin said speaking at a navy day parade in St Petersburg.

Putin’s words follow an incident in the Black Sea in June when Russia said it had fired warning shots and dropped bombs in the path of a British warship to chase it out of Crimea waters.

Britain rejected Russia’s account of the incident, saying it believed any shots fired were a pre-announced Russian “gunnery exercise”, and that no bombs had been dropped.

Russia annexed Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 but Britain and most of the world recognise the Black Sea peninsula as part of Ukraine, not Russia.

Putin said last month Russia could have sunk the British warship HMS Defender, that it accused of illegally entering its territorial waters, without starting World War Three and said the United States played a role in the “provocation” designed to reveal how Russian forces in Crimea reacted to such intrusions.

When asked if the world had stood on the precipice of World War Three during the standoff, Putin said: “Of course not.”

Even if we had sunk the ship it is hard to imagine that the world would have been on the verge of World War Three because those doing it (the provocation) know that they could not emerge as victors from such a war,” he added.

Putin accused the United States and Britain of planning the episode together, saying a U.S. spy plane had taken off from Greece earlier on the same day to watch how Russia would respond to the British warship.

“It was obvious that the destroyer entered (the waters near Crimea) pursuing, first of all, military goals, trying to use the spy plane to see how our forces would stop such provocations, to see what is activated and where, how things work and where everything is located.”

Putin said he saw a political element to the incident, which took place shortly after he had met U.S. President Joe Biden in Geneva.

“The meeting in Geneva had just happened, so why was this provocation needed, what was its goal? To underscore that those people (the Americans and British) do not respect Crimeans’ choice to join the Russian Federation,” he said.

The Russian leader accused London and Washington of a lack of gratitude, saying he had earlier this year given the order for Russian forces to pull back from near Ukraine’s borders after their build-up had generated concern in the West.

Categories
New Category news

Yusuf Buhari’s fiancé, Zahra Ado Bayero spotted with friends and sisters

President Buhari’s son, Yusuf Buhari’s 19-year-old fiancé, Zahra Ado Bayero, was recently spotted with her friends and sisters.



The Architecture graduate is the daughter of of Emir of Bichi, Alhaji Nasir Ado Bayero, who is the fourth child of late Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero.

Preparations for the young couple’s wedding have started in earnest. A President’s delegation visited the Emir of Kano’s palace few weeks ago where talks about the wedding were held.

Going by the tradition in Northern Nigeria, the groom’s family recently delivered boxes diamond and gold jewelry, cash, underwear, among other items known as Kayan Lefe to the bride.

Categories
New Category news

Yusuf Buhari and Zahra Bayero’s wedding to hold on August 20

The wedding of Emir of Bichi’s daughter, Zahra Ado-Bayero to President Buhari’s son, Yusuf, is billed to take place on August 20, 2021.

According to the source, a total of 145 people have been named on a committee inaugurated to coordinate the wedding.

The committee set up by the Emir of Kano, Nasiru Ado Bayero, will also organise a schedule of the Emir’s coronation and the presentation of staff of office by Kano governor, Abdullahi Ganduje.

A statement signed by the spokesperson for the emirate, Lurwan Malikawa, says the coronation follows a day after the wedding at the Emir’s palace.

The statement also revealed that the committee will be headed by the District Head of Bagwai, who is also the Madakin Bichi Alhaji Nura Ahmad and Falakin Bichi Alhaji Abba Waziri will serve as the committee’s secretary.



During the inauguration ceremony of the committee, the Emir of Bichi, represented by the Madakin Bichi, urged members of the committee to use their wealth of experience to ensure the success of the coronation as well as that of the royal wedding.