This was part of the resolutions reached at the end of the conference, put together by the Nigerian Guild of Editors last Thursday and Friday, with the theme ‘Media in Times of Crises: Resolving Conflict, Achieving Consensus’, was attended by 350 editors, security chiefs and other stakeholders.
President Mustapha Isah and the General Secretary Iyobosa Uwugiaren, advised the government to deal with the different sections of the country on the basis of fairness, equity and justice. “There’s need for government to ensure that its policies and actions are sensitive to the multi ethnic and religious makeup of the country.”
A civic group committed to government financial transparency, in its report, ‘State of States 2019’, said only three Nigerian state governments (Lagos, Rivers and Akwa Ibom) can finance their recurrent expenditure without allocation from the federal government.
There had been pressure from the Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) and the general public to stop the suspicious payments to the consultants. However, in a dramatic twist, less than a month after a directive by President Muhammadu Buhari,, the Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning has commenced deductions to pay the claimants.
The permanent secretary, Federal Ministry of Finance, told the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) meeting on Friday that it has commenced the deductions to pay the consultants. In 2006, the federal government paid $12 billion to get an $18 billion debt write-off by the Paris Club of international creditors.
“It is impulsive and reckless to order Ndigbo to observe one-week sit-at-home” – Ohanaeze tells IPOB. The Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide, on Sunday, kicked against the one-week sit-at-home declared by the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.
AMB reported that the pro-Biafra group had threatened a one-week sit-at-home if their leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, was not released forthwith.
The declaration, targeted at the November 6 Anambra election, has been attracting wild condemnation. In a statement by the Secretary-General of the Chidi Ibeh-led apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro, he said Ndigbo should not obey the order this time.
He said, “any declaration that unleashes untold hardship, leads to the collapse of commercial and industrial activities, boycott of Anambra elections, and interrupts the academic calendar in the Southeastern states is nonsensical, absurd, and anti-Igbo agenda, for the enemy’s amusement.”
He added that “IPOB should discern that there was self-determination struggle in Africa before now. Nelson Mandela spent 27 years in jail and never in the history of the movement against Apartheid was starvation, anguish, and catastrophe unleashed on Black South Africans by ANC.
“It is impulsive and reckless to order Ndigbo to observe one-week sit-at-home when it’s obvious that Nnamdi Kanu will not be released without the approval of courts. “IPOB should revisit and nullify the one-week sit-at-home or they will likely lose the support of the Ndigbo henceforth, Ndigbo must participate in Anambra election and nothing should stop it”.
While describing the order as the enslavement of Ndigbo, Isiguzoro said it was time “for the Igbo to rise to the occasion and end being trampled with orders from overseas by those without any investments in the South-East”.
“Working with Ohanaeze for political solution is not cowardice, but pragmatic and the home-bitter truth solution.” Okechukwu said though people share IPOB’s agitation for secession, Igbo people had passed the road of civil war.
Osita Okechukwu, Director-General, Voice of Nigeria (VON), has advised the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to join the Ohanaeze Ndigbo to seek political solution regarding Nnamdi Kanu’s release.
“IPOB should join Prof. George Obiozor-led Ohanaeze Ndigbo to kill two birds with one stone”, he counseled.
“The victims of these crimes deserve justice. Impartial justice and reparation will deal a decisive blow to impunity of perpetrators, and improve access of Nigerian children to education.”
Following a petition filed by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP), the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) is set to investigate the many cases of abduction of schoolchildren in Nigeria.
The Prosecutor is reported to have gotten authorisation from the Pre-Trial Chamber of the court to begin the investigation. According to SERAP, the investigation will also focus on the persistent failure of Nigerian authorities to bring an end to abduction of schoolchildren in the country.
The group said the one week sit-at-home is to let their ‘oppressors’ understand that it won’t tolerate any plan to torment or abandon its leader in DSS custody, adding that nobody resident in the southeast region should flout the sit-at-home order.
The Indigenous People of Biafra has threatened to shut down the whole of southeast region for one week if its leader, Nnamdi Kanu is not released on or before November 4, 2021.
In a statement on Saturday, IPOB asked the Federal Government to release Kanu unconditionally by November 4.
The Rector, Mr Sunusi Gumau, announced the their dismissal while briefing newsmen at the end of the 98th meeting of the council, on Sunday in Bauchi.
Gumau said that the decision was reached after thorough investigation of the matter by a committee set up by the institution.
He said that Baba was a lecturer in the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics while Mr Sunday was a lecturer of the Department of General Studies. “This is the final verdict of all that has been making waves in the media concerning the issue of our staff reported on alleged case of rape.
“This issue of Abubakar Baba came up on the Aug. 4, 2021. In the rules of the Polytechnic, if an issue of this magnitude happens, the complainant has to write and immediately she wrote.
Men of the Bauchi state police command have arrested a 27-year-old man, Enoch Yohanna, for allegedly pushing his girlfriend, Ruth Amos, to her death.
Confirming the arrest to newsmen, the spokesman of the state police command, SP Ahmed Mohammed Wakil, said a patrol by detectives sighted the 28-year old lady lying in a pool of blood with wounds on her head and blood gushing from her mouth at the Sabon Kaura area of Bauchi metropolis.
Wakil said a preliminary investigation showed that Enoch and the deceased engaged in a heated argument on the day she died after he saw her coming out of the compound of another man, He immediately challenged her and in the process pushed her and she fell, hitting her head on the ground.
The Management of the Lagos State Neighbourhood Safety Agency (LNSA) has sanctioned all the Officers involved in the unlawful treatment of Mr Adedotun Clement (the Uber Driver) during the ENDSARS anniversary protest on Wednesday, October 20. The sanctioning came following the conduct of the orderly room trial of the two Officers identified in the various videos on social media from the incident and the supervising Officers from at the venue.
The two officers and the Supervising Officers were charged with disreputable conduct as a result of the assault on a member of the public, the use of pepper spray which is not a standard-issue kit for officers of the Agency, and general unruly behaviours capable of breaching public peace all of which is in contempt of the Agency’s rules as contained in the LNSA Handbook Articles E (ii) & (iii), O (iv) and N (x) which covers conduct with the general public, negligence and general conduct on the job.