Tag Archives: today news

Airlift begins for Afghans who worked for U.S. during its longest war

Some 200 Afghans were set to begin new lives in the United States on Friday as an airlift got under way for translators and others who risk Taliban retaliation because they worked for the United States during its 20-year war in Afghanistan, U.S. officials said.

The operation to evacuate U.S.-affiliated Afghans and family members comes as the U.S. troop pullout nears completion and government forces struggle to repulse Taliban advances. The first planeload of 200 evacuees arrived at Fort Lee, a military base in Virginia, for final paperwork processing and medical examinations.

Read more

Policeman Abba Kyari reacts after being accused by US government of allegedly receiving bribe from Hushpuppi to arrest and jail a member of his online fraud gang

Popular policeman, Abba Kyari has reacted to being accused by US government of allegedly receiving bribe from Nigerian Instagram celebrity, Ramon Abbas a.k.a Hushpuppi to arrest and jail a member of his online fraud gang identified as Chibuzo Vincent. 

Read more

“I cannot have a sugar daddy and be driving Honda Crosstour”-reality TV star, Uriel Oputa says after IG users alleged footballer wife Sonia Ighalo threw shade at her

Uriel has come out to clear her name after, many Instagram users claimed the controversial post footballer wife, Sonia Ighalo, shared earlier which she has now deleted, was directed at her.

Read more

Bicycle riding volunteers deliver medicines in indonesia’s Semarang.

Bicycle riding volunteers deliver medicines in indonesia’s Semarang says reporters.

According reporters Indonesian city of Semarang Arrahman Surya Atmaja stops at a pharmacy to pick up some vitamins before hitting the road again to deliver them to a person isolating at home.

The 35-year-old is part of a small group of volunteer cyclists running errands for people in the city of 3 million, which along with the rest of the country, has been hit hard by the pandemic.

Read more

Staff at US gaming giant Activision Blizzard have staged a walk-out over accusations of sexism and harassment.

The company behind Call of Duty and World
of Warcraft was sued last week by the state
of California over alleged violations of state
workplace protection laws. Female employees described a “frat boy” culture, the lawsuit said.

Activision denied the allegations claiming they
were “distorted and in many cases false”.
On Tuesday. Activision’s CEO said the initial
response had been “tone-deaf. Employees protested outside the company’s campus in Irvine on Wednesday. Some were pictured holding signs that read “women’s voices
matter” and “fight bad guys in game. fight bad
guys IRL”.

On social media, a number of gamers said they
would not login to anything Activision Blizzard
during the walkout in solidarity with employees. The allegations against Activision were contained in a legal filing from the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) following a two-year investigation.

It included accusations of drunken harassment
of female employees by male colleagues or
supervisors, a culture of ignoring complaints
and retaliation against women who made them,
and widespread discrimination against women
in areas such as equal pay and promotion opportunity. The lawsuit found that women make up only 20% of Activision’s staff.

More than 2.000 employees have signed an open letter calling for an end to mandatory arbitration in harassment cases, improvements in recruiting practices and ereation of a diversity and equity task force.

Chief Executive Bobby Kotick said on Tuesday that the company will “continue to investigate each and every claim” of sexism at Activision “and will not hesitate to take decisive action”.
Anyone found to have impeded the integrity of
our processes for evaluating claims and imposing appropriate consequences will be terminated.” he said.

Arthur: Popular children’s show to end after 25 years

Arthur has covered important topics such as
same-sex marriage. The show is based on a series of books by Marc Brown and has also been screened in other countries, including the UK.

The show, which follows the adventures of Arthur the Aardvark. his family and friends is the longest running children’s animated television series in US history US broadcaster PBS confirmed the news adding that the final episode will air next year.

News of Arthur’s cancellation was revealed by one of its writers, Kathy Waugh. Speaking in podcast Finding DW. She said Arthur was no longer in production and the team had already had the show’s wrap party I don’t know if it was a ratings issue or if it felt like it needed to be retired.” she said. PBS contirmed the news in a statement to Variety from the show’s executive producer Carol Greenwald. She said the 25th and final season of Arthur would air next year but the show would still be available on PBS Kids.

The show focused on lessons learned by Arthur
and his friends and covered issues such as
asthma, cancer and dyslexia. It also taught
children lessons about people’s differences
including personalities and interests. In 2019, the show introduced its first same-sex
wedding. The wedding between Arthur’s teacher.

Mr Ratburn and his partner Patrick drew praise
online. But it was also boycotted by Alabama
Public Television. Arthur won six Emmy awards and was so popular that it had a number of celebrity guest spots. with Joan Rivers, Matt Damon and US politician John Lewis.

Afghan villagers search for survivors as flash flood kills at least 40 people.

Afghan villagers searched desperately for survivors after flash flood swept down a narrow valley in a Taliban-controlled area, killing at least 40 people and destroying dozens of houses in the early hours of Thursday morning, officials said.

Getting reliable information was difficult,
according to Afghan officials, as Kamdesh
district in the mountainous eastern province of
Nuristan had fallen under the control of Taliban
and had poor telecommunications.

“According to the initial information 60 houses
are destroyed and around 100 people are
missing,” said Samiullah Zarbi, spokesman for
the State Ministry of Disaster Management.
Villagers had recovered some forty bodies, either from the water or buried beneath the rubble of their homes, Saadullah Payenda Zoy, head of the provincial council said.

The Taliban said they would allow humanitarian
agencies safe access to the area.
“Unfortunately half of a village, which had more
than 100 houses, was washed away by a violent
flood last night and sadly more than 100 people
are dead or missing, Taliban spokesperson
Zaibullah Mujahid told reporters.

He said Taliban fighters were helping villagers
look for missing people. Afghanistan has always struggled to provide emergency services in distant, isolated regions like Nuristan.

But, the challenges have become even more
acute due to the coronavirus pandemic and
mounting violence as Taliban insurgents attack
government troops left fighting alone, with the
last U.S.-led foreign forces preparing to leave
next month.

Three people dead as wildfire in south Turkey rages on -minister

Three people were found dead as a massive forest fire burned for a second day in southern Turkey on Thursday, the country’s AFAD disaster agency and agriculture minister said, with efforts to rescue others and extinguish the blaze continuing. More than 100 other people had to be evacuated, required medical treatment or suffered damage to property as a result of the fire.

Hot weather and strong winds have caused
blazes to spread around the town of Manavgat,
75 km (45 miles) east of the resort city of
Antalya, and nearby villages. Several settlement
areas were evacuated on Wednesday.
Agriculture Minister Bekir Pakdemirli said on
Thursday that an 82-year-old man had been
found dead during the evacuation of the district of Kepezbeleni, 16 km (10 miles) northeast of Manavgat.

A group of 10 people were rescued after being stranded on a boat at the nearby Oymapinar dam. Pakdemirli later said two others were found dead in the Degirmenli district of Antalya, some 20 km (12.5 miles) east of Manavgat, adding that efforts to contain the fire continued.

AFAD said 122 people had been impacted by the
fires and that 58 were receiving treatment.
It said a firefighting plane, a drone, 19
helicopters, some 250 vehicles, and 960
personnel were part of efforts to control the
blaze, while Turkey’s Red Crescent sent staff and food kits to the region.

“Houses located in areas that could be impacted by the fire have been evacuated. Several homes, offices, farms, agricultural fields, greenhouses, and vehicles have been damaged by fire,” AFAD said in a statement.

Authorities evacuated 18 villages and districts in Antalya while 16 more villages were evacuated in the neighbouring provinces of Adana and Mersin, where efforts to extinguish separate wildfires were underway, Pakdemirli said. Television footage showed burnt residential buildings and people fleeing across fields as firefighters backed by helicopters battled to extinguish the fires.

Turkey’s southern Mediterranean coast, a
popular destination for both local and foreign
tourists, is known for its scorching summer heat, which often causes wildfires. Officials have said the latest fires are the biggest to date.

Pakdemirli said there had been 41 wildfires in 13
of Turkey’s 81 provinces since Tuesday, of which
31 were under control. Blazes in Osmaniye and
Kayseri are still burning. Turkey has battled a series of disasters caused by extreme weather conditions this summer, including flash floods last week that killed six people in the Black Sea region.

« Older Entries